Healthcare study topics are varied and focus on diverse areas of study concerning the maintenance of mental and physical health. Healthcare studies include topics in care provision and treatment, diagnosis, and preventive medical procedures. Consequently, healthcare studies include careers in the fields of pharmacy, medicine, dentistry, and healthcare administration. Writing an essay on healthcare is a daunting task for many students with limited understanding of different dynamics that characterize the healthcare field of study. Healthcare concerns all the issues related to maintenance of mental and physical health, and exploring the field helps students develop skills needed to begin careers in social care, health, and education. Healthcare is essential to individuals and the community in general. Its significance explains why lecturers require students to write essays on different areas of healthcare. The essay writing assignments help learners understand the dynamics of healthcare, explore the area of study, appreciate its value to different stakeholders. When professors provide students with healthcare essays, they require students to explore and find answers to the questions like:
- What do you know about healthcare?
- Do you understand the dynamics and basics of healthcare?
- How well can you apply theoretical models to practical healthcare situations?
- Are you able to explore particular concepts in healthcare and make inferences?
When preparing and writing your healthcare essay, it is important to keep the noted questions in mind. Moreover, ensure you have a suitable topic to write about. This guide will provide you with guidelines that help you select appropriate topics. Besides, it provides basic mechanics essential during the essay writing process.
How to Choose Suitable Topics for Healthcare Essay: Fresh Ideas from Our Writers
You could be lucky enough to have your professor select essay topics for you. However, this is not always the case as lecturers often ask students to come up with the topics on their own. If you fall in the latter category, consider the following options to acquire ideas of where or whom you can consult:
- Ask for guidance from your departmental tutor;
- Talk to the other students about possible topics of interests that can be explored;
- Explore the library of old essays;
- Read research journals, health care books, and healthcare magazines.
Take into account the following key points when selecting the healthcare essay topics you’d like to write about.
- Essay requirements and interest. Take into account the essay requirements to explore whether the professor has specific needs that should be fulfilled. Regarding interest, choose essay topics that are interesting to you and match your understanding of the essay topic and your ability to explore it. In this case, ask yourself, “How much do I know about this topic?” It is important to carefully select a topic that you know something about. You should ask yourself the following questions before settling on a specific issue:
- What sparked my interest during my coursework?
- What have I heard or read that grabbed my attention?
- Topic reuse and analysis. Healthcare topics are interrelated, and it is quite OK to reuse a healthcare topic for which you had already written an essay. However, approach the reused topic with caution to ensure it is unique and has resource materials. In the analysis, examine whether the prospective topics are broad or narrow. Narrow topics are too specific while the broad ones do not provide focused areas of study or specific information.
- Open-mindedness and source availability. Even when the essay ideas are farfetched, consider each to come up with a viable essay topic in the field of healthcare. However, ensure the potential essay topics have sources from which you can retrieve information to prove the credibility of your content.
The given key points should be considered before settling on a particular essay topic in healthcare. Additional hints include:
- Research essay topics around your area of interest to create a precise and limited topic;
- Avoid being excessively ambitious in the topic selection;
- Explore existing literature to identify a gap in modern knowledge;
- Consider focusing on a topic that is interesting to your lecturers; admittedly, it is beneficial to write about something that will engage them.
Meanwhile, the following six essay sample topics provide an idea of some of the healthcare issues that can be explored in an essay.
- Since Its Inception, Cosmetic Surgery Has Been on the Rise. Why (Why not) It Should Be Covered by Insurance Policies?
- Is the Hybrid American Healthcare System Sustainable?
- The US Mental Health: The Major Forms Of Mental Health Issues Affecting Americans and Solutions to the Mental Health Problems;
- Disproportionately High Cost of Healthcare in the United States: What Solutions Can Be Used to Fix This Problem?
- The Constitutionality of the New Healthcare Reforms;
- The Spirituality Issues in the Field of Healthcare.
Healthcare Essay Prewriting Tips to Get a Good Start
At the beginning of the essay writing, taking time for prewriting is effective as it will put you on the right track to get meaningful essay content. Prewriting is the preliminary work that helps to construct a stellar essay and may include activities, such as visual mapping, freewriting, and considering the purpose of your writing and your intended audience.
- The purpose and audience analysis. Admittedly, your essay is written for a purpose. Whether you are required to write an informative, persuasive or argumentative essay, you intend to achieve a certain objective through it. In this case, explore the essay purpose to create a focus on issues that it should address. Second, your essay should target a particular audience. It is appropriate to ponder over who might read your healthcare essay, and how you can frame your content to fit their needs. For instance, if you are writing about mental health, your readers might be mental health patients, psychiatric professionals, hospital administrators, parents, students pursuing mental health studies and so on.
- Freewriting. Often, just the very beginning of the writing may provide you with the needed motivation to write an essay. Freewriting involves writing about the essay topic using complete sentences without censoring yourself. It is appropriate to free-write about various aspects of your topic, including issues in healthcare that interest you, questions you intend to find answers for or controversial issues that require justification. At this point, you should be open to all ideas even when you feel they may not become a part of the essay. Providing every point that crosses your mind may help you reach an essay breakthrough.
- Clustering. By the time you are done with freewriting, you will probably have numerous diverse and interconnected ideas. You need to filter the ideas through clustering to come up with viable issues that can open up your essay topic. Clustering is a technique that helps you to represent your act of thinking visually through interconnected links. The process involves starting a cluster by writing the chosen topic inside a circle in the center of the page, then branching off with other circles representing related ideas developed at the freewriting phase, and connecting them back to the topic using lines. The piece of paper should be filled with ideas related to your essay topic by the time you finish your cluster. You can now choose two to three ideas to develop for your healthcare essay.
- Outlining. Ideas developed at the clustering stage may be too broad for a single healthcare essay. However, you can narrow them down to the most important points by creating an outline for your essay introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion. In this case, outline what points should be in your introduction, including a working thesis statement, ideas for each of the body paragraphs, and analysis of the points that require literature evidence and examples.
Structuring Your Healthcare Essay
Writing an essay means creating and designing a coherent set of ideas into an argument. Essays are essentially linear. Thus, they should offer one idea at a time, but in an order that is sensible to the writer and the reader. In this case, your essay should be structured in a way that attends not only to you but the readers’ logic as well. The focus of your healthcare essay should predict the essay structure and dictate the information your audience needs to know and the order in which they need to receive it. There are special guidelines that should be followed when constructing the essays. These guidelines include writing the introduction, the body, and the conclusion of the essay.
- Introduction. The introduction of your essay should be 10% of your essay at least. This section forms the beginning part of your healthcare essay, and it does the same job for an essay as the topic sentence does for the paragraphs. The introduction informs the readers about the essay topic and what is going to happen next. The three main parts of an introduction include an opening statement or a question, supporting sentences, and a thesis statement. The opening statement attracts the reader’s attention, often referred to as the ‘hook.’ Conversely, the supporting sentence links the opening statement to the thesis statement. The thesis statement states the objective and plan of the entire healthcare essay. In your introduction, ensure to:
- Explain how you interpret the topic and title of your essay;
- Articulate the issues you’re going to explore;
- Describe what your essay focus will be;
- Explain your argument and counter arguments if any.
- Main body. The body segment of an essay should occupy about 80% of your essay. It is the most important part of the paper because it presents the main arguments, justifications for these arguments and examples. Depending on the length of the essay, the body paragraphs should be more than one, and in most cases, more than two. Each of the body paragraphs should begin with a topic sentence and have information that links and supports the topic sentence and the thesis statement. In cases where the thesis statement has multiple assertions, ensure each body paragraph supports the assertions, mainly in the order you articulated them in the thesis. In this case, the topic sentence for the first body paragraph should explore the first assertion of the thesis statement. Subsequently, the topic sentence for the second body paragraph should refer to the second assertion of the thesis statement. Precisely, you need to use a chain of paragraphs that explore and develop the arguments mentioned in your thesis statement. You should explain the following to your readers:
- What each paragraph is about;
- Your argument on each idea;
- Your evidence to support your ideas and what the evidence means to the topic;
- How each body paragraph links to the essay title;
- How your body paragraph links to the topic in the succeeding paragraph.
- Conclusion. Most writers leave out the conclusion part of an essay. They leave all ideas scattered and with no particular summary of the major points. Similar to the introduction, your conclusion should occupy approximately 10% of your essay. The guiding rule in writing your conclusion is to never introduce any new content. Rather, summarize the major arguments of your essay just as you may have done it in the introduction part of the essay. You also need to restate your thesis statement and make inferences. In this case, articulate why the conclusion you make is important to the essay or significant to the field of healthcare studies in theory and practice.
Post Writing Tips to Make Your Essay Flawless
Once you are done with the healthcare essay writing, post writing is easy as it only involves proofreading needed to correct sentence, grammar, and paragraph errors. Moreover, ensure the essay format is appropriate, and the paper is free from plagiarism. Cite all outside sources that helped you justify your arguments.