Who else is waiting for Halloween 2023? Because I am! Ever since I moved to America, I have loved this holiday and enjoy its vibe every year. I think it is popular in all American cities and towns, but in New York, people are just crazy about it. The race for the best Halloween costumes starts long before the famous holiday. The most important thing, in this case, is to choose the perfect one, you know what I mean? If you haven’t decided what you’re going to dress up as this year, I can give you a couple of ideas. Ready to slay the spooky season 2023? Join me!
Trending Pop Culture Halloween Costumes 2023
There are two ways to go when it comes to choosing trending Halloween costumes. The first one is to choose a timeless classic like a witch, a zombie, some super scary bloody look with a slit throat, or take some inspiration from pop culture. Here, too, you can turn to classic horror movies and choose a scary guy with a knife from “Scream,” a guy with a knife from “Halloween,” a Bloody Mary, or a nun who gives you the creeps. Or you can opt for a not-scary but trendy character from a recent best-selling movie (Hey, “Barbie”). So, the costume idea depends on your preferences, mood, and imagination.
I am not a fan of “bloody” costumes, they make me feel a little uncomfortable. I hope I’m not the only one. When I choose a costume for a Halloween party, I choose a character from the latest trendy movies and TV shows or just get inspired by the latest events in the “world of the rich and successful.” If you like this approach, here are some ideas for Halloween 2023 costumes for you.
1. Barbie or Ken from the “Barbie” movie
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you should know about this fall’s hit costumes – hot pink cowgirl Barbie and rollerblading Barbie. Ooh, these are definitely costumes that everyone at your party will love. If you’re going to go as a couple, there are plenty of costumes for Ken to choose from, too. However, if you’re not a fan of either of these, the movie offers plenty more options: a cute yellow dress, a sexy blue posh outfit, or a camper Barbie. Yes, I really liked this movie, you guessed it right! This is my pop culture Halloween costume for this year.
2. Ariel from “The Little Mermaid”
Another ideal Halloween costume option, in my opinion, is the Little Mermaid variant, a movie that has caused a lot of talk and discussion. A gentle, dreamy Ariel in a sparkling costume will definitely make a splash at your party. You can go all creative and choose not Prince Eric but Flounder as your couple. The Flounder costume will look original, and everyone will definitely like it.
3. Taylor Swift “The Eras Tour”
One of the biggest events this year was Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour.” If you’re as huge fan of Taylor as I am, here’s another idea for a great Halloween costume to wear to a party. During the show, the singer unveiled several iconic outfits that caught everyone’s eye and heart. Who can compete with a breathtaking purple dress with a million sequins that playfully shine in the light? Add a pair of stylish cowboy boots, and you have a top Halloween costume ready to rock the upcoming holiday.
4. Carmy from “The Bear”
Are there any fans of Carmy? I looove the “Bear” series. Carmy’s costume will definitely be an iconic one at your party. Moreover, if you want to avoid spending a lot of effort and money on a costume, this is definitely your option. A white shirt, a blue apron, and a name tag with “Carmy” on it will do all the trick. And one more benefit. As an accessory, you can take one of your favorite kitchen pans OR buy a new one, and then have it in the household. This is what I call a forward-thinking approach to Halloween costume ideas.
5. Wednesday Addams from “Wednesday”
Ooh, Wednesday, the best Halloween character. Who could be more suitable for Halloween vibes? Her black, stylish, laconic dress from the dances will definitely work as a perfect Halloween costume idea. Complete it with black boots and the iconic wig with two pigtails, and you’re ready to go. You can learn a couple of moves from her famous dance to make the look 100% authentic.
6. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy
If you are not a fan of black, then it is better to abandon the previous option in favor of this one. The iconic characters of the Nintendo game from our childhood were perfectly revealed in “The Super Mario Bros. Movie.” The bright and full-of-life trending Halloween costumes of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Daisy will fill the holiday with nostalgia and enthusiasm. If you are going to celebrate the holiday with a group of friends, this option is definitely worth considering.
7. Maverick from “Top Gun”
Tom Cruise never goes out of style. If your goal is to instantly win the eyes of all the girls at the party, Maverick costume ideas are what you need to achieve your goal. Choose this costume and fill the holiday with sexy energy. MA-Flight Bomber Jacket, a pair of army boots, and iconic sunglasses will allow you to feel like an ace pilot who knows exactly what he is doing for the evening.
8. Daphne Bridgerton from “Bridgerton”
Can you think of a more touching love story than “Bridgerton?” The character of Daphne Bridgerton really sank into our hearts, and what can you say about her stunning dresses? Yes, I am still a little girl inside who is fond of balls and princes, and who isn’t? If you are looking to transform into a beautiful princess and wear something charming, Daphne Bridgerton’s Halloween costume will definitely fit the bill. An elegant dress, gloves, a tiara, and a pair of jewelry pieces will do the trick and allow you to embody the Bridgerton magic at the Halloween 2023 party.
I think everyone was impressed by Austin Butler’s selfless performance in “Elvis.” Of course, this famous singer is already a favorite at Halloween parties, but this year, his Halloween costume idea may look completely different. Pay tribute to Austin’s incredible performance and dress up as Elvis for this fall’s bash. I think you already know what to wear to catch the spirit of this incredible character.
10. Beth Dutton and Rip Wheeler from “Yellowstone”
If you want to transform into someone with super strong, thrilling energy for Halloween, Beth Dutton and Rip Wheeler from “Yellowstone” will definitely be a hit. The iconic drama series has captivated many with its complex and well-thought-out characters, from whom there is definitely something to learn. For your party, you can choose Beth Dutton’s Halloween costume with a golden dress and a chic fur coat, made of faux fur, of course. Rip in a cowboy hat costume and a denim jacket will be a worthy company to her, don’t you think?
Where to Buy Halloween Costumes in New York?
When you’ve decided on your Halloween look this year, it’s a logical question to ask yourself: “Where to buy popular Halloween costumes?” I know the answer and can give you some suggestions. So, you can buy everything you need to spark up your party either in a good old-fashioned store or order online. I’ll tell you about all the awesome places where you can do it conveniently, profitably, and with the best possible result.
Top 7 Halloween Stores in NYC You Should Visit
It’s a good idea to buy everything you need at a flea market or even a nearby supermarket. However, if you want to buy a really cool costume and create a memorable look, take note of these 7 stores in New York City.
- Abracadabra superstore. I must warn you that the prices here are quite high. However, the selection of the best Halloween costumes is simply amazing. Here, you can find everything you need for your Halloween party, including the necessary spooky decor to create the right atmosphere for the holiday.
- Screaming Mimi’s. This costume and accessory store in the West Village is also not cheap, but it’s a super cool place to buy a groovy, fun Halloween costume. You will definitely find what you need there, especially if you have a vintage look from the good old days in mind.
- Gothic Renaissance NYC. Whether your look for this Halloween is a sexy gothic vampire or a mysterious Dracula, there’s no better place to go in New York. Here, you can find absolutely everything from corsets, vampire swag, one-of-a-kind handmade masks, and a variety of custom pieces to complete your image.
- Spark Pretty. A vintage Halloween costume shop that will captivate you with its 70s and 80s atmosphere. Located in the East Village, Spark Pretty offers a wide selection of costumes and accessories to light up this Halloween with good old classics.
- Village Party store. Although this Greenwich Village store is more about party planning than costumes, I couldn’t help but include it. I just love it! Here, you can find everything from creepy paper plates to super scary spider webs. The Village Party store will definitely give you a powerful boost of Halloween energy and provide you with a good Halloween costume.
- Trash and Vaudeville. If you are a picky shopper who needs a wide selection of Halloween costume ideas, check out Trash and Vaudeville. Here, you can literally find everything for your Halloween costume: from tight leather pants through feather boas to neon signs. Your serotonin will definitely rise to the right festive level just by entering this cool store.
- Brooklyn Superhero Supply Company. If your costume choice for this Halloween is a rocking superhero, you should definitely visit Brooklyn Superhero Supply Company. Here, you will find everything you need: a mask that will change you beyond recognition, a wide-brimmed satin cape, and maybe a truth serum? Whatever you’re thinking of including in your look, I bet it’s got to be here!
5 Best Online Shops To Buy Your Halloween Costumes
If you’re not in the mood to go shopping and stand in kilometer-long lines, you can certainly take advantage of the great opportunity to buy everything online. You can find the perfect Halloween costume from the comfort of your own home. So, where do you find the best costumes in the bottomless sea of online shopping? Let me guide you!
In my opinion, these 5 online shopping platforms will fully satisfy customers with the most diverse requests:
- Amazon. I think the first position in my rating will not surprise anyone. Are there any other dedicated Amazon shoppers? Because I am one of them. By the way, I already bought my costume for this year’s party here. Of course, Amazon, as always, offers a wide range of costumes and accessories. The only thing left to do is to click on what you like and press the coveted “Buy” button.
- Walmart. This is another favorite of mine when it comes to buying anything, not just Halloween costumes. After all, Walmart is just a dream for shopping. The site is built very conveniently and has an intuitive interface. You can sort products using convenient filters. Not shopping, but a pure pleasure.
- H&M. A great site to buy a Halloween costume that everyone will definitely remember. Reasonable prices and wide selection – there is everything to make the customer satisfied. The H&M online store offers for your pleasure not only costumes but also other necessary things for the holiday, from stylized kitchen appliances to a spooky décor to make goosebumps run down your back.
- Tipsy Elves. If you can’t find anything you like on the previous sites, try your luck in the Tipsy Elves online store. The site offers a wide range of costumes for different amounts and different tastes.
- Chewy. I really like this store. It’s just a treasure trove for those who have a pet. Because the holiday mood should be shared with everyone, right? The Chewy online shopping platform allows you to choose a costume for any breed of dog or cat. My friend buys Halloween costumes for her dog here every year, and they are so cute that I’m already thinking about getting a little dog myself.
I hope you found my guide on the costumes for Halloween helpful, you guys. Have a great Halloween this year!