Literary analysis assignments are designed to give you an in-depth view of a piece of writing and its writer’s motivation. Some instructors will give you specific aspects which you need to focus on.
However, if you have carte blanche, examine the literary elements of the text, formulate your central thesis, and then prove your idea by providing arguments/evidence from the text.
If your assignment involves studying Native American literature from a critical and analytic perspective, any of these topics will serve your purpose. Some of these are quite specific, so you can simply choose one, look up the appropriate sources listed at the end of this page, and get started. There are also some general topics in the following list. You can use these as a guide to think up your own specific topic….
If you are tasked with conducting a literary analysis on African American literature, you may need a topic to help you get things started. This type of writing is the one which may require you to focus on a single piece of literature or a single African American author. In any case, you can turn your gaze a few of the topics below to help guide you in selecting yours:
- Contemporary Themes and Issues in Literature Written by an Author of Your Choosing
- The Effectiveness of a Biography in Retelling the Major Lifetime Events for a Person of Your Choosing
- How Stories by an African American Author of Your Choosing Analyze Aspects of Society
- How History is Taught in Literature Written by an African American Author of Your Choosing
- The Links between Themes of an Autobiography and the Literature Written by an African American Author of Your Choosing
- The Way an African American Author of Your Choosing Uses Sequence to Communicate Emotions
- How an Author of Your Choosing Uses Locations and Sensory Details in Their Work
- The Impact of Gestures and Movements in Portraying a Scene
- The Use of Interior Monologues by an African American Author of Your Choosing to Depict Feelings
- Changing Pace to Accommodate Changes in Mood/Time by an Author of Your Choosing
- Atmospheric and Descriptive Details to Convey Scenes by an African American Author of Your Choosing
- How an African American Author of Your Choosing Uses Shifting Perspectives to Portray Historical Events
- How an Author of Your Choosing Uses Descriptions of Appearance to Convey Social Inequalities
- The Impact of Responsive Writing in Literature by an Author of Your Choosing
- How Student Comprehensive Results from an African American Author Success in Conveying a Point
- How Works by African American Authors Relate to One Another in Different Periods
- How Contemporary Society Influences African American Writers in Specific Genres
- The Influence of Archetypal Models in Writings by an Author of Your Choosing
- Political versus Religious Influences of Historical Periods Which Shaped Plots
- Toni Morrison’s Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech and Ethos