While students learn, they face a lot of impediments of academic and non-academic origins. They commonly induce a lot of stress and when the youngsters go from school to college, their problems only increase. The mental pressure becomes stronger because they change their occupation, face more complex assignments, deal with more unknown people, and so on. It may lead to severe mental ailments and deviations. Depression and anxiety are the most typical ones.
If youngsters face these ailments, their life turns into a real nightmare. It’s of huge importance to understand the reasons that lead to mental problems and overcome them. Thus, our informative article will highlight the main peculiarities of depression and anxiety in college students.
What Does Statistic Say?
First, we have checked the current situation amongst youngsters. We know that depression is the most widely spread mental disease throughout the globe. The USA is no exception and it must be taken seriously. According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the cases of mental deviations among young people aged 18-24 have sufficiently increased.
For example, one survey examined thousands of college students who reported having suicidal thoughts. The percentage has increased by over 25% in comparison with the previous surveys. It took place in June and many scientists agree that the main reason for that is the global Covid-19 pandemic. This age group has high levels of anxiety and depression. The percentage is 62.9% and it has never reached such a high point before.
Another study reported that over 91% of respondents felt high levels of stress. 39% of interviewed college students had from moderate to severe anxiety, and about 53% had moderate or severe depression. These numbers are terrifying. Such mental states don’t allow for having a normal life and oftentimes lead to suicide.
What Are the Main Triggers of Mental Problems?
The picture is dangerous and something must be done. Every problem should be treated after its fully studied. In other words, we should understand what triggers anxiety and depression in college students. There are many reasons and students may face several of them at once. Let’s check the main triggers:
- Academic performance. The first typical reason for excess stress among college students is their academic performance. Most of them give too much heed to their success and it continuously disturbs them. They get merely obsessed with the thought of getting the highest grades everywhere. When they fail, it becomes a heavy strike and leads to anxiety or depression.
- Homesickness. Secondly, many students leave their homes and move to another city or even state to study in a college. It’s also severe stress for them and causes a cultural shock. They change their occupation and the typical lifestyle. Many of them cannot adapt to new changes and become depressed.
- Bullying. Thirdly, bullying among students may likewise lead to depression and/or anxiety. It commonly begins at school and the title of “outsider” may pass on when a student gets into a college.
- Technology. At times, technological progress drives many kids crazy. They seem to be entirely obsessed with their gadgets and life in virtual reality. Millions of college students play video games or constantly chat on social media platforms. It leads to social isolation, and they experience great problems when they have to interact with other people in real life. Besides, cyberbullying is another trigger of depression and frequently leads to suicides.
- Finances. The financial status is of huge importance for most teenagers. Students from low-income families commonly feel unconfident and alone. Besides, the increase in college costs plays a vital role in many youngsters. Many of them have to combine learning with a part-time job, which is exhausting in physical and psychological aspects. It likewise induces mental complications.
- Private life issues. We cannot omit the possibility of having some personal problems. For example, unanswered love or quarrels with close friends may induce severe stress. It deepens in time and may potentially cause depression and anxiety.
Are Students Expected to Be Mentally Vulnerable Today?
We should mention another potential risk factor, which appeared as the result of the latest changes in the life of the whole world. We mean the Covid-19 pandemic and its disastrous influence on millions of people.
At first glance, it seems to be alright for most students, especially if they have homesickness. They return to their homes where their parents and friends can support them. They feel natural and safe. However, everything will change when they return to the campus. Many teenagers will have to adapt to the changes once again and not all of them may withstand the pressure perfectly.
Some colleges and universities support distance learning until the pandemic is over. In the meanwhile, it likewise negatively affects thousands of students. Many of them dreamed of having a full college life with all its common experiences. Unfortunately, some of them will have to study for about two years distantly and graduate. It brings to ruin their dreams of normal learning in college and likewise makes them unhappy. Besides, many students aren’t confident about their future careers. Many businesses were closed because they went bankrupt. Thus, the USA and other world countries cannot ensure as many working places as before.
Effective Methods to Prevent and Overcome Anxiety and Depression
If you feel high mental pressure, you should not give up and grow desperate. There are several efficient methods, which will help to keep anxiety and depression at bay. You should plainly realize that nothing is lost and you can overcome any complication. Afterward, use our mental-curing methodologies.
Consult a Specialist
You shouldn’t be shy to get professional help. Every student can consult a psychiatrist if he/she thinks he/she is close to depression. You may at least call the hotline for instant support.
Make Up Your Own Mantra
It’s sometimes useful to think about some words of encouragement and inspiration. For example, you may regularly repeat – You can succeed in everything! Repeat this mantra every time you face some impediments and it may help in critical situations.
Undertake Things You Like
Obligatorily do all the activities that make you happy. These are your hobbies – sports, reading, watching movies, etc. Besides, you can enjoy stress-relieving effects if you try to start some new hobbies.
Don’t omit meditation. Different kinds of therapy have already helped millions of people throughout the globe. Study different approaches and practice them regularly. They are quite easy to follow.
Writing a diary or journaling is another efficient solution. It’s frequently compared to music and art therapies. You should write at least 15 consecutive minutes every day and express anything you like.
Undoubtedly, depression and anxiety are very severe mental problems that lead to disastrous consequences. Therefore, they must be taken seriously. The statistic doesn’t lie and many college students are endangered by mental deviations today. Fortunately, several methods can help youngsters to keep their problems at bay. Of course, parents and professors are supposed to be attentive to teens too. Their integrated support will help to keep mentally strong. Use the methods we have highlighted at the first signs of depression and anxiety.