It’s wintry, cold, and snowy outside (we hope ☃️). However, we still don’t want to say goodbye to the golden fall season with its cool traditional events for students and graduates. So, today, we have prepared some cool Homecoming ideas for high school students. They will definitely come in handy for your next year’s celebration, juniors. Read, get inspired, and put them into practice!
Celebrate Local Culture and Traditions with Unique Homecoming Ideas for High School
Every place has a story that it can and will gladly tell. One of the first Homecoming theme ideas for high school that you should look into is celebrating the history and traditions of your city. Whether it’s small or big, there are sure to be some events or people that have left a place in its history. This experience will be useful to absolutely everyone. After all, it is not for nothing that they say, “Those who do not know their past are robbed of their future.” Your only task is to avoid banal lectures that make everyone bored. No, think bigger.
So, to celebrate the history and local culture of your community during Homecoming Week, you could:
- Invite local talents, such as artists, performers, musicians, or dance groups, to participate in your Homecoming events. Their performances will liven up your venue and add a necessary positive energy boost. Alternatively, they can also hold workshops or exhibitions during the week.
- As one of the Homecoming ideas for high school, ask school students to make murals, sculptures, or art installations that represent the cultural diversity and heritage of your hometown or city. You can display these creations or photos throughout the school or in the community directly. (P.S. Before you start creating a mural, make sure you have all the necessary permits so that your celebration is not ruined later; you know what we mean 😅)
- Organize a “Taste of Our City” event, which will include a culinary fair with local specialties. We’re sure you’ve got some.
- Plan excursions to the city’s historical sights. Highlighting them will help students gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of their local heritage while also filling your holiday with a feeling of unity.
Homecoming Ideas for High School: Honor Decades of School History
More suitable Homecoming themes ideas for high school would involve honoring school history. Don’t roll your eyes and say that this idea is hackneyed. The fact that it is so common is definitely an indicator of its coolness. Believe us, you won’t lose if you bet on it. So, how do you organize everything and incorporate school history into Homecoming? We have a few suggestions for you 😉
- Dedicate each day of the week to a specific decade in the school’s history. Your fellow students can dress up in clothes that represent certain eras, such as the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, or even previous years, depending on how old your school is.
- Get creative with the idea of a time capsule. You can breathe new life into a well-known tradition: Collect items, memorabilia, and messages from alumni and faculty from different times. You can open it during a sweet, special ceremony and set up new high school traditions.
- Host a pep rally with music that represents the popular culture trends of each era. You can also arrange special themed games and contests related to pop culture from different decades to raise the school spirit.
- Set up displays or exhibitions with photos, yearbooks, and newspaper clippings from different generations. Strong Homecoming ideas: People love to recall the good old days. Give them what they want!
- Honor retired faculty members who have made major contributions to your school over the years. You can organize a ceremony to recognize their dedication and impact.
|HANDPICKED RELATED CONTENT:
Homecoming Week: Traditions International Students Should Know
Capture sweet memories with ease: Photo booth services and event photography
You can turn Homecoming into an unforgettable experience with such elements as photo booths and event photography. To do this, you need to try a little harder and do some preparatory work to bring one of the coolest Homecoming ideas for high school to life. Continuing the idea of honoring the different generations that studied at your school, set up themed photo booths that showcase different decades. Encourage students to dress up in costumes of a certain era and take nifty pictures. Add props, backdrops, and themed accessories to make the atmosphere even more nostalgic.
In addition to photo booth services, you can go a step further and hire professional event photographers who will definitely grab the cool moments from the flow of the celebration and make them last forever. We are sure that, as a result, you will definitely get a breathtaking album that will take its rightful place in the history of your beloved school.
Homecoming Ideas: Embrace School Spirit with Mascot-Themed Celebrations
Each school has its own mascot. We are sure that yours does, too. One of the Homecoming ideas for high school is to use your mascot. Not literally. But to get some inspiration from it and create the right atmosphere for your Spirit Week, for example.
Impress everyone with creative ideas for Spirit Week and parade floats
- Mascot-inspired dress-up days. Here’s one of the awesome Homecoming Spirit Week ideas for high school: Dedicate each day of Spirit Week to dressing in colors or mascot themes. For example, you could have a “Wild Animal Wednesday” or “Team T-Shirt Thursday” or something along those lines.
- Mascot-themed contests. Hold games and contests based on the traits of your school’s mascot. For example, if the mascot is a lion, organize a loudest roar competition, or if it’s a bear, organize an arm wrestling competition.
- Parade float creation. One of the coolest Homecoming float ideas for high school, in our opinion, is to take inspiration from your mascot outside the school and create parade floats. Only the sky is the limit here. You can use school colors and symbols and add all the necessary attributes. The main thing is to work together and have fun.
- Art installations on the theme of mascots. Ask your artistic classmates to create mascot-themed installations around the school to liven up the atmosphere.
- Quizzes about mascots. As one of the spirit day ideas for high school Homecoming and an opportunity to have fun and learn something interesting, you can hold quizzes related to the history, meaning, or interesting facts of your mascot.
“Homecoming week is one of my favorite events of the year. I try not to miss a single one!”
Patric Johnson, a mechanical engineering student
Engage Your High School Community in Charity and Fundraising Events
One of the nice Homecoming ideas for high school is to think about others and organize fundraising and charity events. This is not only an opportunity to bring your community together and raise your school spirit but also to do something good. To give you a little guidance on how to do this, here are some options for you to think about:
- Charity walks or runs. Organize a community walk or run with students, teachers, and community members. You can donate the proceeds from the fundraising events to a charity of your choice.
- Bake sales or food festivals. Host a delicious food sale where all interested can showcase their culinary masterpieces. At the end of the event, donate the raised funds to a local charity or an important cause for the school.
- Auction or lottery. Arrange an auction or raffle with items donated by local businesses or individuals. The collected money you can donate to a charity or school initiative. This could become one of the common high school traditions.
Make a Homecoming Dance memorable: Themes and decorations
What’s a Homecoming Week without an unforgettable dance, right? So here, you can let your imagination run wild, of course. OR! You can use all of the ideas mentioned earlier:
- Organize a dance in the spirit of a certain era, at your discretion: whether 50s, 80s, or 90s, everyone will definitely have fun. Of course, make sure that everyone follows the dress code and decorate the hall accordingly.
- Don’t go too far and use your mascot as one of the greatest Homecoming theme ideas for high school Homecoming Dance: Its colors, symbols, meaning, etc.
- Don’t forget about others, and be sure to arrange a contest for the best costume and donate the proceeds to charity.
We hope you found many useful Homecoming ideas to make your celebration truly one to remember. Good luck with organizing your event!
Homecoming Ideas For High School: Top 3 FAQs
1. How can schools make Homecoming more engaging for students?
Schools can make Homecoming more fun for students if they arrange such activities as themed costume days, assemblies, parade floats, and fun competitions. They might also consider including dance competitions, talent shows, and sports games. In order to organize a great and fun celebration, school authorities should encourage students to take part in planning and decision-making about the Homecoming and overall school spirit.
2. What are some unique themes for the Homecoming Dance?
Some unique themes for Homecoming Dance may include masquerade ball, Hollywood glam, enchanted forest, retro decades (e.g., the ‘80s or the ‘90s), carnival or circus, under the stars, neon/glow-in-the-dark, tropical luau, and many others.
3. How can Homecoming events promote community involvement?
Homecoming events can promote community involvement if they invite not only students and alumni but also local businesses and community organizations to participate in the celebration.