The United States is one of the world’s most recognized countries in postsecondary education. Every year, a large number of international students study in the US along with Americans. Last academic year, there were more than 1 million foreign learners with active study visas. As reported by the Institute of International Education (IIE), 80% of those studying abroad in America rely on personal savings and family to cover their education expenses. However, to cope with the price of college, there is another way to go, namely, applying for fully funded scholarships for international students.
Everything You Should Know About Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students in USA
The main purpose of stipends for foreign learners in the United States is to support non-US citizens who wish to study in American bachelor’s or master’s programs. These financial awards are offered by various institutions, including government agencies, universities and colleges, non-profit organizations, and private foundations.
Who these scholarships are for:
- Monetary assistance with educational costs in the form of scholarships is available for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Eligibility criteria for obtaining entirely subsidized awards vary from organization to organization. However, most typically, they expect the candidates to excel in academics, show leadership qualities, demonstrate strong community involvement, and prove their financial need.
- Fully funded scholarships for international students could be exclusively offered to citizens of specific countries or regions, minority groups, or individuals majoring in particular disciplines.
- There’s a great number of full stipends open to students from all countries.
How fully funded scholarships for international students in USA work:
- International students interested in complete academic stipends typically apply directly to the scholarship providers or through the universities they wish to enroll.
- The application process for financial support often involves submitting academic transcripts, standardized test scores (e.g., ACT, SAT, GRE, etc.), letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and proof of English proficiency (e.g., TOEFL, Duolingo, or IELTS scores).
- Some fully funded scholarships for international students may require applicants to provide additional documents, such as a research proposal or a portfolio, depending on their specialization.
- Selection committees review applications for totally subsidized stipends and select the most worthy recipients based on the prior specified criteria.
- Successful awardees receive funding for tuition, living expenses, and sometimes additional benefits, such as travel allowances, health insurance, and research grants.
Benefits of fully funded scholarships for international students:
- Entirely subsidized awards for foreign learners cover various expenses, which may include full or partial tuition, fees, and living costs.
- They assist overseas students with earning a highly-recognized degree in the United States to fulfill their academic and career goals.
- Many fully funded scholarships for international students encourage cultural exchange and offer opportunities for community engagement and leadership development.
- Numerous stipends include internships and research projects to enrich the overall academic experience.
- The fortunate grantees gain invaluable experience of studying in another country and enrich their worldview.
The 7 Best Fully Funded Scholarships in USA for International Students 2024: Descriptions, Eligibility, and More
There are many organizations, both public and private, that are eager to help overseas scholars with tuition fees and even related critical expenses. Among the vast array of available fully funded scholarships for international students, the following deserve special mention.
1. Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The Fulbright Program is one of the oldest and most prestigious programs that offers a wide range of fully funded scholarships in USA for international students 2024 for graduate study, research, and internships in teaching English. The major goal of the initiative is to promote cultural exchange and understanding between the United States and other countries.
Sponsor: US Department of State, a government agency responsible for the United States’ foreign affairs and diplomacy.
Eligibility: Varies by country; typically, candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and good English proficiency.
Coverage: Full tuition, living stipend, and other benefits.
2. MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
The MasterCard Foundation’s fully funded scholarships for undergraduate international students program has been successfully promoting access to postsecondary and postgraduate education for over two decades. This generous financial reward is mainly aimed at young women, refugees, and young people living with disabilities. According to the organizers of the initiative, their mission is to help future leaders find their way to victory over life’s adversities.
Sponsor: The MasterCard Foundation, an international organization dedicated to promoting social and economic progress.
Eligibility: Varies by university; the main requirement is to be a citizen of an African country and demonstrate financial need, strong academic achievements, leadership skills, and good English command.
Coverage: Tuition, accommodation, books, and other education-related expenses.
3. Joint Japan World Bank Group Scholarship Program
The World Bank’s fully funded scholarships in USA for international students 2024 program is established to provide financial support to talented students from the countries participating in the initiative. The organizers prefer applicants interested in pursuing graduate studies in development-related fields in the United States. The ultimate goal of the initiative is to help the awardees contribute to the economic growth of their home countries.
Sponsor: World Bank
Eligibility: Applicants must be citizens of a World Bank member country and have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
Coverage: Tuition fees, living expenses, travel costs, and health insurance.
|HANDPICKED RELATED CONTENT:
Overview of the Most Prominent Fully Funded Scholarships in USA for International Students 2024 Without IELTS
4. Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program At Stanford University
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program is a highly competitive and prestigious stipend program launched not so long ago, in 2016. The initiative offers comprehensive monetary coverage to exceptional students wishing to pursue any graduate degree at Stanford University. The exceptional feature of these fully funded scholarships for international students is that they are not limited to specific fields of study.
Sponsor: Stanford University
Eligibility: Candidates should have a strong academic record and demonstrate qualities such as independence, purposeful leadership, and a civic mindset.
Coverage: Tuition costs, living stipend, and travel expenses.
5. Obama Foundation Scholars Program For Emerging Leaders
The Obama Foundation Fellowship Program is a unique initiative that empowers young leaders from around the world to contribute to solving major global problems. The organizers give preference to candidates who have already demonstrated their commitment to change in their communities. Grantees have the opportunity to study for one academic year at the University of Chicago or Columbia University.
Sponsor: Obama Foundation
Eligibility: Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to working on pressing global issues and excellent proficiency in the English language.
Coverage: Comprehensive tuition costs, living expenses, and health insurance
6. AAUW International Fellowship For Women
AAUW International Scholarships support women all over the world who wish to pursue a master’s or doctoral degree in the United States. Under the terms of the program, grantees must be enrolled full-time. The fully funded scholarships for international students from AAUW provide women with opportunities for advanced education and research. The program promotes gender equality and the academic development of women.
Sponsor: The American Association of University Women (AAUW)
Eligibility: Candidates must be non-US citizens holding bachelor’s or doctoral degrees. The major requirement is good English command.
Coverage: Living expenses, research support, and travel grants.
7. American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
The American University Scholarship for Young Global Leaders is a highly competitive program that empowers foreign learners to improve their home countries. Fully funded scholarships for undergraduate international students are open to anyone wishing to study at American University. Allowance can be renewed for all subsequent years of study, subject to good academic performance.
Sponsor: The American University in Washington, DC
Eligibility: Applicants must be current high school students with a high GPA and demonstrate financial need.
Please note that the scholarship is extremely competitive. Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for Fall 2024.
Coverage: Full tuition and accommodation.